I had my “First light” of dome automation last night with NINA, but never left the inside of the dome. I just wanted to watch how things worked and to make sure the Sequencer 2 did what I hoped it would. My geometry seems to be a bit off but for the target I chose to the North east, the Edge 1100 was entered in the dome opening.
I pushed the start button and the shutter immediately opened, camera cooled, Telescope slewed to a defined area of the sky and did a quick focus for SHO filter off sets. The scope went to its target plate solved and images started to roll in.
After about 2.5 hours I noticed that the scope was just on the edge of the opening. The dome rotating was not keeping up with the scope. Was this because I had turned down the speed of the dome rotation in order for the sprocket to not jump out of the rotation gears or is there another adjustment I can make to move the dome faster or more frequently?
The issue is not the rotation speed (the speed doesn't affect positioning, only how fast it'll get to a requested position).
The application controlling the mount and the dome need to send periodic move to the dome to keep the slit aligned with the OTA line of sight.
So this is all about the dome geometry parameters.
The dome is not constantly moving, it is ordered to move to the new Az by the control software (NINA in your case) to keep everything aligned.
So your dome geometry parameters need to be as accurate as possible. A small error can translate in a large difference in position as this parameters are fed to some matrices to rotate and translate the OTA line of sight to a dome Azimuth... and these are all multiplications which will amplify any error/imprecision.